Monday, March 16, 2009

Another strange sight from Utah


When we moved out here we were amazed at how different the houses were out here. We have been used to slab houses with no basements. Now all the houses around here have basements. Alot of them are finished too. So this leads to my photo of these weird things that surround our basement windows. I guess it is for safety purposes that they surround the basement windows with a shell like thing. It also has a ladder in case we need to escape the basement. I dont remember seeing these in Maine when we lived there. As a matter of fact, our house in Veazie had a finished basement and there was nothing like this. Just another thing that is different about Utah. I will post some more interesting things that are different when I have time like..fry sauce (got ya wondering dont I?)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

i just read 'fry sauce' on another blog this morning and wondered what it was - so do tell!!

Debby said...

Don't these fill up with snow, when it snows?

Scrappinwendi said...

Good question Debby. I really dont know. It hasnt snowed enough for me to find out.
Lisa I will fill you in about fry sauce in today's post....

Brooke S said...

Don't worry Wendi there is no problem with snow and rain.. Hence the gravel in the bottom. Drainage. The Window Wells are required in all new homes.. Fire code. We never had them in out homes growing up. Actually all remodels have to have window expanded as well so you can escape in case of fire. Our basement is so fare above ground because of the slope that we don't have them in the back. I don't think we could have fit through our Craftsman style house in Salt Lake.. Yikes...
Oh ya you can get window cover if it freaks you out.

Fry sauce is just one of those regional things.. catsup and mayo mixed together.. It a Utah thing..